Sunday, March 9, 2008

Investing in You- Your Greatest Asset


Hi again!

It's been a few days, but life has been busy, busy, busy...

I'm still playing a little catch up from the 4th of July show that my hard drive put on last weekend- so that's kept my hands full.

Anyway, I've been spending a lot of time investing in myself lately because- if you weren't aware- I'm in the process of switching my business focus. It's partially a chosen switch, and partially forced upon me- both of which has it's advantages.

As a quick summary, I've been doing Real Estate Investing full time for the last 6 ish years. Single family Rentals, Buy-Fix-Sell, Lease Options, etc. were my main focus, and life was good.

However, in my search for what would really make me happy and fullfilled (as well as pay the bills), I realized that Real Estate was not in line with my Soul Purpose.

The problem with this was that I looked down, and I was wearing some very stylish 'Golden Handcuffs'. This meant that although I was ready to look at expanding my future in a different direction, the 6 figure income that I was enjoying would take time and efforts to replace...

This might have been something for me to drag on indefinitely, except that the real estate equivalent of "Hurrican Katrina" hit the real estate market about 12-18 months ago. This quickly allowed me to shed the illusion of the Golden Handcuffs and seek my next path to fortune and adventure.

This meant a new line of work, new skills, new adventures, and new challenges.

I was going to have to invest some time, energy, and resources to get my train rolling on a different track and in the direction of my next destination...

Which leads me to investing in yourself. Ask yourself... Do you invest in yourself? If so, do you do it often enough? If not, why?

To give you an idea, I've probably averaged spending between $10-20,000 per year investing in myself over the past 5 years. Does that stun you? It proabaly sounds crazy, right? If so, let me explain why I do it, and what it has meant in my life...

First of all, I love learning about things that interest or benefit me or my loved ones. I learned a long time ago that anything that I invest in myself- be it books, tapes, seminars, trainers, or other professionals or mentors- I get to keep for the REST OF MY LIFE.

I learned this concept from a friend and mentor of mine Eric Lofholm (http:www.ericlofholm.com)- he calls it the 'Baseline Stragety'. Basically he says that if you take your current skills, talents, and experience (everything that you bring to the table) that is your 'Baseline'. Now if you invest in yourself and get even 1% better at any of your existing attributes, you are now that 1% better than your original baseline allowed.

This might seem elementary, but what most people fail to realize is that the 1% isn't just 1% better. It might end up being 10%, 100% or even 1000% better over the course of your lifetime.

This is because that 1% might get you an extra relationship, or an extra sale, or anything- but what does that relationship or sale lead to over time? Do you get referalls- which lead to more referrals- which lead to more... You get the picture.

Or perhaps the commisson from that 1 sale. If you used it to do more advertising, or buy a book that leads to increased sales- which in turn lead to more sales, commissions, advertising, books, etc.

So what is that 1% really worth? And why aren't you adding more 1% skills into your life? The results are incredible!

In my life, just growing from these 1%, 5%, or even 10% increments (due to investing in myself) has lead to massive results. Those tens of thousands of dollars invested have yielded several million dollars in profits already... and I get to keep those skills for many more years! I can't even imagine what they'll be worth in dollars or quality of life...

This is all because someone once taught me that YOU are your greatest asset. Everything that you invest into yourself is with you for the rest of your life:



  • Eat better- you'll have better health from here on out. llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

  • Communicate better- You'll have better business and personal relationships. llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

  • Educate yourself- you will be able to apply those concepts in EVERY situation for the rest of your life!

So what are you doing to increase the value of your #1 Asset? If nothing yet- let me make a suggestion or two...

-Try reading at least 2 books per year that would help you in areas that are important and interesting to you- Books on health, finances, and mindset are all excellent choices.

-Commit to attending 1 new seminar or class that will help you improve one of the skills or weaknesses that would prove valuable in your life... learn better computer or communcation skills. Try something to open up your awareness in areas that interest you! It's amazing how much is available to us, if we only learn to see it!

-Pick one skill per year and focus on mastering it. Learn to speak another language, how to cook or throw dinner parties, or even how to dance! (If Jerry Rice can do it, so can you!) These skills will exponentially contribute to the abundance and enjoyment of your life.

So think about it- make your list and check it twice. Be realistic about what you undertake and be sure to realize that it's tough in the beginning, but once you start seeing the fruits of your labors- it is a great addiction!

Here are a few books that have helped me- check them out:

Younger Next Year by Chris Crowley and M.D., Henry S. Lodge (Health)
Multiple Streams of Income by Robert Allen (Investing)
The Prosperity Paradigm by Steve D'Annunzio (Spiritual Prosperity)
Killing Sacred Cows by Garrett Gunderson (Finances and Wealth Creation)

Until Next Time!

Derick Van Ness

No comments: