Sunday, February 24, 2008

Why Do People 'Get Old'?

I went out Salsa Dancing last Friday night to celebrate the Birthday of one of my best friends! Good stuff!

I used to be a 'Dancing Machine' and go out nearly nightly, but I got out of the habit a few years ago when I had a snowboarding run in with a big, tough snowmobile...

I don't recommend it to anyone!

Anyway, I was enjoying the dancing & socializing, and it got me thinking about why people 'Get Old'. I've been blessed enough to stumble into some great social and exercize habits that have perpetuated my youthful energy level and friendships... But what about the average person?

I say that I'm fortunate because according to Dan Sulivan - the creator of an amazing entreprenuerial program called The Strategic Coach- people get old for 3 reasons:

1) They run out of money or financial stability
2) Their friends & family either pass away or leave them alone
3) They have no future plans, goals, or anything to look forward to...

Dan calls this last reason 'Not having a future that is bigger than your past'.

So how does this relate to Salsa Dancing at Mama Juana's? Well, I've realized that something like social dancing fulfills at least 2 of the 3 reasons that people 'Get Old'.

First, I am constantly inspired to become a better dancer, and am always looking forward to my chance to grow and improve. This gives me hope (however slight) that one day I'll be a great dancer and that keeps me excited.

Secondly, I am constantly meeting new people or strengthening bonds of friendship that I have already created. It's like 'Speed Dating' to music, but without all of the awkward questions and indigestion.

I can't think of a better way to get some exercize and meet other social, energetic people. And you know what? Most of them are very successful people in all areas of their life.

You see, people who go out and enjoy life in one particular area, also have a tendancy to let that carry over into all areas of their life. Shocking, huh?

So the question today is-- do you have habits that are going to allow you to WANT to stay alive and enjoy life? Or are you going to turn into one of those 'Crazy Old Men' that is anti-social and can't wait to die?

I'm serious... Are you gonna turn into the fun loving, optimistic Big Bird-- or the cranky Oscar the Grouch?

If you're serious about living out your years on fun filled 'Sesame Street' as a lovable version of 'Big Bird' here are a couple of suggestions:

- Find at least 2 activities or organizations that excite you, and join them. They will be a source of great friendships, activities, and meaning for you throughout life.

- Think of at least one really big idea that you'd love to support/achieve before it's your turn to play a harp and don that golden halo... and start chasing that dream whenever you get the chance.

- Make sure that you take time for yourself. This means not aways doing ONLY what the kids, spouse, or others want. Take time to do the things that YOU love because someday the kids will grow up, and you may have some time to yourself. How would it be to get excited about that time rather than shaking in your boots?

So which is it gonna be? Big Bird or the smelly Oscar the Grouch? The choice is yours!

Think about it and leave me your thoughts or suggestions for living a longer, fuller life... I'd love to hear them.

~ Derick Van Ness

NOTE: To find out more about the Strategic Coach Program go to: http://www.thestrategiccoach.com/

They have great learning tools ranging from simple books (which cost a few dollars) to year long programs that are more expensive. I highly recommend their materials.

No comments: